Saturday, February 4, 2012

Everybody Needs Good Neighbours!

Recovering the display boards
Tina, Sonia, Alan and Peter, best clean-up team ever!




One coat of varnish and already it looks much better


All I can say is I love my neighbours. Sonia, Pete and Tina came up to the school, and along with my husband Alan and myself,  spent the whole morning working like trojans to help me get this room in order. Peter washed the windows inside and out and got rid of I don't know how many flies, spiders and webs, cleaned all the shelves. Sonia and Tina made everything spotless including the tote trays. Alan took down the old whiteboard and put me up a little one near the entrance by cutting down and recycling existing support rails, helped with the window cleaning, put a lock on the storeroom, and brought us all over a yummy selection of food to keep us going. Little Archie, Sonia and Pete's grandson, was over here too and he was such a cutie. He loved the feel of the display board fabric and spent ages playing with a strip of it.  We moved furniture around a fair bit but I am still not 100% sure what the best arrangement is going to be. I re-covered the display boards which gave the room a much fresher look and varnished the old shabby bookshelves and cabinets. It's amazing what a couple of coats of varnish can do. There are now five different coloured umbrellas (courtesy of Chicken Feed, every public school teachers' saviour) hanging over the games corner.  I brought over all the board games my children no longer use as they are adults, so that the students have something to occupy themselves with during wet weather days. In the afternoon I set up two large shelves which house the Little Library of Rescued Books. http://littlelibraryofrescuedbooks.blogspot.com.au/ which I have been buying for very reasonable prices from op shops all over Hobart.

No comments:

Post a Comment